2016 SUBMISSION DEADLINE
SEPTEMBER 1, 2016
2016 Entry Fee
CONGRATULATIONS TO CORBIN FOSTER AND MELODY DEL REAL!
Keep an eye on this page to find out more about the winners and their works. Performance dates will be announced shortly.
The deadline for this season’s Composition Project has passed.
Please use the information below to plan for next year. Check back with this page later this season to get updated deadlines and requirements.
A key component of the Redlands Community Orchestra’s mission is sharing the joy of music making. In furtherance of this mission, the RCO wishes to support and encourage local composers in creating new and original orchestral music. Consequently, the RCO aims to rehearse and perform one original composition during the 2016-2017 season. RCO members, students attending high schools or residing within the Redlands Unified School District, and students at Crafton Hills College, San Bernardino Valley College, the University of Redlands, and Cal State San Bernardino are invited to submit compositions for consideration for the RCO Composition Project.
- Concert Performance by the RCO – The winning composition will be performed by the RCO during the May 2017 concert (exact date TBD) and will be conducted by the RCO Music Director.
- Attendance at Rehearsals – The winning composer is invited to attend RCO rehearsals of his or her piece.
- Featured in Media – The winning composer will be featured on the RCO website, in press releases, and through RCO email marketing efforts.
Who is Eligible
We’ve expanded! You can now submit a composition if you are an RCO member or a student at any of the following fine institutions:
- Any high school, public or private, within the bounds of the Redlands Unified School District (2015-2016–graduating seniors are fine)
- Crafton Hills College (2015-2016)
- San Bernardino Valley College (2015-2016)
- University of Redlands (2015-2016)
- California State University, San Bernardino (2015-2016)
Bummed your school isn’t on the list? Since the project is new and we had to draw the line somewhere, we picked the institutions closest to us as guinea pigs. If things go well, we may expand in the future! Contact Us if you have a suggestion for next year.
Winners of the previous iteration of the RCO Composition Project (November, March, and May 2015) are not eligible.
Explore Past Winners Page
- Must be no more than 10 minutes in length
- Must be written specifically for the RCO or else unpublished
- Must be written for symphonic orchestra. Instruments may include no more than the following:
- Flute (2)
- Oboe (2)
- Clarinet (2)
- Bassoon (2)
- Horn (4)
- Trumpet (3)
- Trombone (3)
- Percussion (no more than five players)
- Must be playable by the RCO musicians. The RCO is a 55-instrument, non-auditioned, amateur community orchestra. A list of works previously performed by the RCO can be found on our Past Concerts Page, and recordings of RCO performances can be found at https://redlandscommunityorchestra.bandcamp.com/.
All of the requirements and an amazing amount of detailed information are in the Application Materials. If you have a question, the answer is probably in the Application Materials. Seriously, Download the Application Materials and read them. There’s page upon page of info in the Application Materials. Be sure to Download the Application Materials.